The Dispensary, London. Pub and Dining room

History

The Dispensary at 19a Leman Street, E1 8EN is a grade 11*-listed building

The building was constructed in 1858 to house the Eastern Dispensary. This had been started by a group of doctors in 1782 and with the Duke of Wellington as its president, it was one of the first attempts to provide medical treatment to the poor of the area.

The dispensary relied on voluntary contributions from charitably minded people and the inscription voluntary contributions still remains on the building today.

The dispensary closed in 1940 owing to wartime difficulties and was converted into a public house in 1998.

Given the building's history, it was important to retain the historic qualities of the building. The original features such as the staircase made from Portland stone have been repaired sympathetically - the Victorian tiled floor in the entrance has been renovated to its formal glory.

Throughout the building you can view framed pictures referencing the history of London.

Sitemap Site by BridgingUnit